9.17.2009



SINGLES IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE



This will be my first posting on what I think the singles should have been on a few albums. There will be many posting in this series over time, and I hope to have a lot of fun thinking about these. “Singles in This Universe” are the singles that were released to radio in reality. “Singles in a Parallel Universe” are what I think should have been the singles, since, in my opinion, these are the best tracks on the album (not necessarily what would make the record label the most money ‘cause some meat-head at a bar could picture himself playing darts and hitting on girls to it).

Artist:
The Smashing Pumpkins
Album:
Adore
Year:
1998
Singles in This Universe:
Ava Adore / Perfect
Singles in a Parallel Universe:
Appels + Oranjes / Pug / For Martha
My Comments:
In this case, there is really nothing wrong with the singles that were actually chosen, I just think the three singles I’ve chosen represent three dynamic, beautiful sides of Billy Corgan’s songwriting. “Appels + Oranjes” is fun, full-sounding, and has poetic lyrics. “Pug” is terribly sexy... ;) “For Martha” is a very personal song for Billy and the tenderness he exudes grows into a beautiful tribute.

Artist: Dave Matthews Band
Album:
Under the Table and Dreaming
Year:
1994 (Wow, I can’t believe it was that long ago!)
Singles in This Universe:
What Would You Say / Satellite / Ants Marching
Singles in a Parallel Universe:
The Best of What’s Around / Dancing Nancies / #34
My Comments:
“What Would You Say” and “Ants Marching” are flaky songs in my eyes - no depth, but catchy. “The Best of What’s Around” is a feel-good, positive-messaged, dynamic, overall great song - the perfect song to open the album, as it does. “Dancing Nancies” builds really well, bringing you to the joyful top (lyrics like, “I’ll sing and dance / la la la hey / la la la hey / la la la,” are just plain giddy). “#34” is a masterpiece which I think really shows the cohesiveness of the talented musicians participating. Listen to this song with headphones on and your eyes closed to fully absorb it.

Artist: Kenna
Album:
Make Sure They See My Face
Year:
2007
Singles in This Universe:
Say Goodbye to Love
Singles in a Parallel Universe:
Daylight / Sun Red/Sky Blue
My Comments: Simply put, "Say Goodbye to Love" has a good beat, but no substance...no feeling. "Daylight" and "Sun Red/Sky Blue" are very emotional, over-flowing songs that I feel represent Kenna the best. I can't help but smile when I listen to these songs. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment